Sunday, October 08, 2006

A Virago Among Patriarchs

It never occured to me that in an arch-patriarchal society like Saudi Arabia, a woman could write on gender issues with such boldness and that a Saudi newspaper could publish this stuff. Voila! Truly amazing. Click on the URLs below to read her articles:


Portrait of a Saudi Lady

Am I not a Saudi?

The Things They Do in the Name of Male Guardianship

Women in Saudi Arabia too have dream

I wonder if such articles also appear in Arabic language newspapers, or -- for the time being--only English newspapers are "allowed" to show a gesture of "boldness".

Anyway, a pat on the back of Mr. Khaled al-Maenna, chief editor of Arab News, for publishing such kind of stuff!Ms. Mody Al-Khalaf also deserves patting on the back for her courage and confidence to write such articles, but... I'm afraid I'll be arrested by Saudi "moral police" for patting a "non-mahram" woman -:)

Therefore, hats off to her -:)

No comments: